Visit Blackstone, Virginia
The village of Blacks and Whites dates back to the Revolutionary War, but its exact date is unknown. The name was derived from two rival tavern keepers, Mr. Schwartz and Mr. White. In German, Schwartz means black and therefore the crossroads came to be known as Blacks and Whites. On April 7, 1829, a Blacks and Whites Post Office was established. However, the name was changed to Bellefonte on May 11, 1875, so that it would be identical with the name of the Norfolk and Western Railroad Station. Then on August 4, 1882, the town was renamed Blacks and Whites. At a meeting of the local citizens, Dr. Jethro Meriwether Hurt proposed the name Blackstone after Sir William Blackstone (1723-1780), who was an English jurist. On February 23, 1886, the name of Blacks and Whites was changed to Blackstone. Blackstone was first incorporated on February 23, 1888.
Restoration and revitalization of Blackstone has seen awnings and period lampposts appear along tree-lined streets reminiscent of the Victorian Era during which Blackstone founded its beginnings. The restoration, preservation, and revitalization of Blackstone is a continuing priority of local citizens, businesses, and industries.
Downtown Blackstone is rich in architectural details such as iron fronts, and decorative brick cornices on otherwise utilitarian brick commercial buildings. To capture the full flavor of these wonderful buildings, pause for a few moments and look up or you will miss much of the decorative work of the artisans of yesterday that contributed to the beauty of the downtown. These historic buildings now house an array of specialty shops, fine restaurants, antique shops and professional offices.
Downtown Blackstone offers a unique mixture of shopping and dining in the downtown district. There is a wonderful assortment of shops with a special concentration in home furnishings, antiques, and collectibles. Parking is available in several minicipal parking lots convenient to Main Street. As you stroll the tree lined streets, you can also stop in one of our many dining establishments for an array of choices for all tastes, from light fare to home cooking to ethnic cuisine.
A fully restored Revolutionary War Era Tavern located in Downtown Blackstone. The original construction took place in several stages between 1790 and 1840. The Tavern stands at the site of Blackstone's 18th century crossroads. To schedule a tour, call (434) 292-3041.
The Robert Thomas Carriage Museum
This new museum features 24 completely restored horse-drawn carriages, sleighs & buggies all collected over many years by Rober Thomas of Blackstone. His valuable collection was given to the Town of Blackstone as is attractively displayed in this museum. FREE ADMISSION.
Open Daily Memorial Day - Labor Day
Mon-Sat 10a.m.-5p.m. Sunday noon-5p.m.
Annual Model Train Display
Every year Bevell's Ace Hardware starts early to get their train display (over 500 square feet) up and running for all of their Holiday Visitors. There is a Wood Mill, a working Drive-In Movie Theatre, a ski-slope, a circus, and replicas of buildings of interest here in Blackstone, just to name a few of the interesting sites.
Bobby Daniels Train Display (PDF 2.6 mb)
Blackstone Chamber of Commerce
Town of Blackstone
Virginia Main Street